Crews stand ready to restore the historic German American Society Building at Southeast Center
One of Outer Southeast Portland’s oldest buildings, the former German American Society, is slated for restoration and reincarnation as the new campus administration building for PCC’s growing Southeast Center. The College purchased the building in 2010 to support its expansion plans for Southeast. The building is located on SE Division Street, two blocks west of SE 82nd Avenue.
Currently, the College is waiting for the City to approve its building permit. Once the College receives the permit, O’Neill crews will begin restoring the building, which was erected in 1911 as a nursing home for German-American seniors.
Plans call for reconstructing the original main stairway entrance into the building’s second story, putting in all new wood windows that replicate the original 1911 windows, replacing the interior stairway on the west end of the building, returning the lower level to its original exterior configuration and incorporating seismic upgrades.